MGCplus – The ultimate, scalable and configurable data acquisition system for laboratory and test stand
With more than 100,000 MGCplus channels in different applications worldwide, HBM’s MGCplus system has achieved acceptance as a measurement standard. It features the wide spectrum of supported transducers, fieldbus connections and standard PC interfaces that users demand in a leading and truly integrated measurement device. The MGCplus is today the data acquisition (DAQ) system of choice for almost all industrial, laboratory and R&D measurement applications in test stands, calibration, manufacturing, weighing, experimental stress analysis and durability testing.
The built-in standard PC, the two PCMCIA slots and the modular architecture of the MGCplus allow you to freely expand your system. You can add new modules when you like-and in the future-to suit changed requirements.
Connect any type of transducer
Whether you want to measure force, displacement, pressure, temperature, torque, acceleration, strain, stress, voltage, current, frequency or resistance-at low or high speeds-you will find a dedicated MGCplus module ideally suited to your requirements. For static measurement tasks where high resolution, long-term stability and immunity to noise are a priority (e.g. in weighing applications or during calibration) you can find 225Hz or 600Hz carrier-frequency modules with an accuracy class of up to 0.0025. A DC amplifier is also available for dynamic measurements up to 50kHz. Messages transmitted via a CAN bus (for instance, in cars or trucks) can be acquired in parallel with mechanical parameters. In each single-channel amplifier, transducer data and channel-specific settings are stored in a non-volatile EEPROM.
Single-channel measurement modules have up to five analog signals (gross, net, maximum, minimum, peak-to-peak); these can be fed to two analog outputs according to choice. Hardware functions such as zero balancing, taring or parameter transfer can be controlled via PLC-compatible contacts. Measurement signals are sampled simultaneously and in parallel using three channel-independent sampling rates.
Because MGCplus is a modular system, you can select exactly the components you need for your current measurement tasks. The instrument can be fully computer-controlled; for manual settings you can call up all functions using a display and control panel. Multi-channel MGCplus modules maximize the number of functions, minimize space requirements and provide an excellent price-performance ratio.
Communication Processors (CP) for MGCplus
The communication processors CP22 and CP42 for MGCplus provide outstanding performance and easy use of standard PC interfaces. Both allow the assembly of networks-an important condition for data acquisition systems with more than 1,000 active channels.External hardware (PCMCIA-ethernet card or USB adaptor, for example) is not necessary-ethernet and USB are built into the communication processors. And a printer with USB interface can be connected directly to the communication processors. Measurement values can be documented permanently or by request via digital input, without needing a PC. Synchronization with other MGCplus devices is easy; simply connect two MGCplus devices with one synchronization cable. No external switch is needed to define which device is master or slave. The devices detecting their position in the synchronization chain know their role. So several MGCplus devices can be easily combined to form a powerful 10,000-channel amplifier system. Data recording without a PC is no problem with CP42. Any PCMCIA hard disk (ATA-Standard, Type II) with up to 2GByte can be used. Other features include various Trigger functions, three different and independent sample rates and several record modes (periodic measurement or long-term measurement, for example). CP42 also supports multi-client ability. You can store data on PCMCIA hard disk, while viewing and working simultaneously with acquired data at your PC. You also can work with colleagues at different locations-locally or globally distributed-with one MGCplus, all sharing full access to acquired data.
Connection Boards (AP) for MGCplus
AP connection boards for single-channel amplifiers:
- AP01 AP with 15-pin D socket
- AP02 Carrier board for RM001 relay module, use only if combined with another AP
- AP03 AP with MS socket
- AP07/1 AP with torque connection for T3XFN and T10-KF1 torque transducers
- AP08 AP with charge amplifier for piezoelectric transducers
- AP09 AP with screw terminals for thermocouples
- AP11 AP with Lemo-FGG6 socket
- AP13 AP with D socket, control I/Os for 24 V (electrically isolated)
- AP14 AP with socket with EKR circuit for strain gauge quarter bridges
- AP17 AP with transducers supply for T10 Option SF1 and SU1 torque transducers
- AP18 AP with BNC socket for current-fed piezoelectric transducers
AP connection boards for multi-channel amplifiers: You can already connect a large number of transducers with the aid of a multi-channel amplifier. The MGCplus amplifier system gained much versatility from this and the reduced price per channel also meant that it was able to maintain and further reinforce its position in fierce competition.
- AP401 Connection board for MGCplus with four voltage inputs, electrically isolated
AP402i The AP402i connection board records voltages and currents by individual channels in the MGCplus amplifier system. The connection board can be used together with the ML801B amplifier module. The measuring ranges ±1 V, ±10 V and ±60 V are available for voltage measurement; currents are measured up to ±20 mA.
- AP409 Connection board with DIN socket for four thermocouples, each input electrically isolated
- AP418 Four-channel connection board for current-fed piezoelectric transducers, such as acceleration transducers.
The AP418 connection board is already enabled for transducer identification (TEDS – Transducer Electronic Datasheet). This is simply inspired: connect the transducer to the AP418 and the amplifier channel is set automatically with the transducer specifications stored locally.
- AP460 Connection board for four-channel frequency counter up to 500kHz (Lemo)
- AP801 Connection board with screw terminals for eight +/-10 V inputs
- AP809 Connection board with DIN socket for eight thermocouples
- AP810 Connection board with two D sockets for eight strain gauge full and half bridges
- AP814i Connection board with D socket for eight strain gauge quarter bridges in three-wire circuit, prepared for T-ID (Transducer Identification) and TEDS (Transducer Electronic Data Sheet)
- AP815 Connection board for eight strain gauge quarter (four-wire circuit), half or full bridges, prepared for T-ID (Transducer Identification) and TEDS (Transducer Electronic Data Sheet)
- AP835 Connection board with Lemo socket for 8 PT 100
- AP836 Connection board for eight potentiometric transducers
AP connection boards for special-function modules
- AP71 Connection board for CAN bus
- AP72 Connection board for RS-232C and RS-485
- AP75 Connection board with eight digital I/Os and two analog outputs
- AP77 Connection board for Profibus DP
- AP78 Connection board with ten analog outputs
Amplifier Modules (ML) for MGCplus
Single-channel modules for MGCplus:All amplifiers with low-pass filter and automatic tare, 0.03 accuracy class, 4 divs front panel width
- ML01B DC amplifier for voltages, currents or thermocouples
- ML10B DC amplifier for strain gauges and piezoresistive transducers
- ML30B CF amplifier (600 Hz CF) for strain gauges
- ML35B CF amplifier (75 Hz CF) for Pt100 and Pt1000
- ML38B Precision CF amplifier (225 Hz CF) for strain gauge transducers. Accuracy class: 0.0025
- ML50B CF amplifier (4.8 kHz CF) for inductive transducers
- ML55B CF amplifier (4.8 kHz CF) for strain gauge and inductive transducers
- ML55BS6 CF amplifier (9.6 kHz CF) for strain gauge and inductive transducers
- ML60B For incremental transmitters, frequency signals and HBM torque flanges with frequency output
Multi-channel modules for MGCplus:
Four-channel frequency counter up to 500 kHz
Basic module for the multi-channel connection boards
Special-function modules for MGCplus:
- ML70B User programmable basis module: The ML70B programmable module is a four-division wide module occupying one slot in the MGCplus system device. The module can be programmed as required by the CoDeSys programming system in accordance with the internationally standardized PLC programming standard IEC61131-3.
- ML71B Communication module for CANbus data reception
- ML71BS6 Communication module for CANbus data transmission
- ML77B Communication module for ProfibusDP (not for systems with CP12)
- ML78B Multi-channel I/O module
- ML85C Press-fit monitoring module
SwiftCal Calibration Software for MGCplus
HBM’s software MGCplus SwiftCal automatically calibrates MGCplus amplifiers ensuring consistent delivery of the highly accurate measurements needed in industrial testing environments. High accuracy is particularly important for safety-related tests common in the aerospace and automotive industries.Calibrating measuring equipment is standard in industry to ensure quality control and provide checks that the measuring equipment is operating properly. MGCplus SwiftCal ensures complete traceability that complies with industrial requirements. MGCplus SwiftCal is intuitive and easy to use as the software is written in English and uses a predefined sequence for calibrating that simplifies the process. The software does not demand any special training making the calibration process very quick and easy.
Because MGCplus SwiftCal is so quick it can be used to provide check-ups on measuring equipment immediately before and after particularly complex measurements. When using MGCplus SwiftCal, the calibration happens automatically through controllable calibration devices, such as HBM’s K800 calibration device for strain gage quarter bridges.To further simplify the process, the software automatically recognises the amplifier connected to the calibration device. This means that, even if a MGCplus system has 16 amplifiers, there is no need to check that the calibration device is connected to the correct amplifier before calibration since the cables can be connected to any other amplifier and still give correct results.During calibration the equipment is checked to ensure it complies with specifications and a calibration certificate is automatically generated on completion and stored in a database. The certificate includes an ‘OK-not OK’ statement of the specification checks. The certificate lists all measured values individually and all identifiable amplifiers identified by their serial numbers. The calibration certificate is available in English and German. Other calibration devices can be integrated with the MGCplus SwiftCal. Predefined calibration values can be entered for manually operated devices and the software checks whether the correct value has been set.
HBM offers a calibration service through its accredited DKD (German Calibration Office) laboratory for force, torque, pressure and voltage ratio. This enables HBM to provide an all-around package of calibration services from working standard through to DKD calibrations for MGCplus amplifiers.